Put simply, Camden 500 is the most astoundingly clean, linear, and transparent preamp you’ve ever heard.
Camden 500 was designed from the ground-up to be the ultimate front-end for the modern studio and engineer and to withstand the rigours of modern workflow and production techniques. It features a completely original, custom-designed ‘Camden’ preamp topology that achieves stunning low-noise and low-distortion performance as well as frequency and phase linearity at all gain settings. The sum result is -129.5dB EIN (150ohm, unweighted), THD+N as low as 0.0002%, frequency response of ±0.7dB from 5Hz to 200kHz at max gain and <2° phase shift @ 20Hz – 20kHz.
For moments when that extra bit of ‘British’ character is required, rather than use a transformer and learn to live with its drawbacks, Cranborne Audio developed Mojo - two discrete analogue saturation styles that transform Camden 500 into the fattest, warmest, and most characterful preamp in your arsenal - all at the turn of a dial. Perhaps best of all, unlike transformer and other legacy designs, Mojo can be subtle, it can also be exaggerated, but it can also be bypassed.
- Fully-discrete, transformerless design featuring our custom ‘Camden’ preamp topology designed by our Director of Engineering - Edward Holmes.
- Optimised for and fully-compliant with the 500-series format.
- Camden 500 is not a 19” unit shoe-horned into a 500-series module, it has been designed from the ground-up to perform under the low-voltage power rails and supply current limitations of the 500-series format whilst delivering groundbreaking performance.
- Performs at the near-theoretical limits of noise, distortion, and phase/frequency linearity at all gain settings.
- EIN: <-129.5dBu, 150 ohm source, unweighted, <-135.5dBu, Inputs common, unweighted
- THD+N: <0.0004%, 1kHz, 35dB gain, 24dBu out
- Intermodulation Distortion: <0.0008%, 50Hz and 7kHz, 35dB gain, 20dBu out
- Phase Shift: <2.25°, 40dB gain, 20Hz to 20kHz, <4°, Max gain, 20Hz to 20kHz
- Freq. Response: <±1dB, <5 Hz to >200 kHz, all gain settings
- CMRR: >70dB, typ >85dB, 35dB Gain, 10-20kHz, 100mV Common mode
- Optimised input Impedance and input headroom for Mic, Line, and Hi-z sources.
- Mic Preamp, Instrument Di, and - thanks to Mojo - line-level analogue saturator.
- Reamp tracks from your DAW through Mojo to apply analogue saturation to your stems, VST, and stereo mixes.
- Custom ‘Mojo’ analogue saturation circuit with variable control, true bypass, and 2 discrete styles - Thump and Cream.
- Thump excites low-end content by boosting lower odd/even harmonics from a range of 160Hz to 20Hz and below.
- Cream boosts odd/even harmonics whilst also reducing the amplitude of the fundamental frequencies and applying typical transformer-style transient taming.
- Gold Flashing on backplane contacts for increased conductivity and durability.
- Designed, engineered and manufactured in the United Kingdom.